The town Solin is situated at the foot of the Kozjak Mountain and near the River Jadro. Town Solin is well-known as the capital city of the Roman province of Dalmatia, and is famous for the remains of the ancient town Salona The municipality of town Solin covers the area of approximately 19 km2, and its 5 settlements have a population of 30,000. The Town Solin is located near the River Jadro and the Kastela Bay. It is enclosed by mountains Kozjak and Mosor to the north. Klis Fortress is situated nearby.
Solin is very old town situated in the Kastela field and under the bottom of the mountain Kozjak. It has got its name after the roman name Salona, as the capital town of the Roman province Dalmatia, which covered : Eastern part of Istria, southern part of Slovenia, Dalmatia,Bosnia and Hercegovina, Monte Negro, Serbia and Albania.. Today Solin is the modern town which is dealing in tourism, trade, agriculture and the transport.
History of town Solin
History of Town Solin dates back to the 2nd century BC and was known as an Illyrian settlement that had its own port. Presumably, the Illyrian tribe of Delmatae built a pier in a sheltered cove of the Kastela Bay near the estuary of the River Jadro. In the history of town Solin, the settlement was surrounded by fertile fields, which indicates that its inhabitants exchanged agricultural products and other goods with merchants who arrived on Greek ships. After a while Greek colonists came and, along with the local inhabitants, formed and built the settlement of Salona in the 4th century BC. Later in history of town Solin, the fortress was owned by dukes and kings of the House of Trpimirovic dukes of the House of Subic (rulers of Bribir), and many others. In 1537 the Turkish invaders captured the Klis Fortress and made it the administrative centre of their Klis sanjak, and in 1648 Venetians took control over the fortress. Afterwards, many rulers came and went and all of them influenced the nearby town of Solin as well.
Roman town Salona
Roman Town Salona was established in the 1st century BC when the Romans conquered the territory and established the town according to their own rules and laws. At that time, Rome was torn apart by the civil war as Caesar and Pompey fought for power and control over the Republic. The inhabitants of Salona sided with Caesar who, after defeating Pompey, awarded them the status of a free colony officially titled 'Colonia Martia Julia Salona'.
The Romans, who were known as supreme builders and architects, commenced the restructuring and expansion of the old Greek-Illyrian settlement towards east and west and renamed it Salonae. At the height of its prosperity, the Roman town and its surrounding area had the population of 60,000 and was the largest town in the Dalmatian region as well as its cultural, commercial, administrative, political and military centre. The Roman town Salona covered the area of 75 ha, and was 2 km wide and 4 km long. Its walls were approximately 4 km long and had numerous forts that were used for protection against attacks from land and sea. Due to its convenient geographical position (it was situated near the sea and the River Jadro) and ideal climate, Salona had unlimited possibilities and resources for the development of commerce, transport, agriculture, crafts, and export of goods. In addition, in 295 Roman Emperor Diocletian commenced the building of his palace near Salona and used it as his residence after he abdicated the throne and retired from politics. As the capital city of the province of Dalmatia, Roman Town Salona was considered to be a place of culture and had its money, seal, laws, crafts, administration, army and every other property necessary for functioning of such an important centre. However, in the 7th century AD the tribes of Slavs and Avars attacked the Roman town Salona, conquered it, pillaged and burned it. Some of the local inhabitants escaped and sought refuge in the nearby Diocletian's Palace. This event marked the stagnation of the capital city of Salona which lost its former power and glory and became an ordinary town.
Don Frane Bulic
Today, Solin is a modern town and tourist destination that bases its economy on agriculture, commerce, transport and tourism. During the development of present-day Solin, the locals managed to preserve the tradition and cultural heritage of the ancient Salona, and the person who contributed the most was Don Frane Bulic (1846 - 1934) Croatian priest, archaeologist, historian and conservator. Working from his house, known as Tusculum ( built in 1898 ) Don Frane Bulic discovered and researched the remains of the amphitheatre (a large arena used for gladiator fights and many events and performances with the capacity of 20,000 spectators), numerous villas, palaces of Dalmatian regents, thermae, bridges, the aqueduct, the forum, temples, the theatre with the seating capacity for 3,500 spectators, walls, forts and other buildings. Today these remains are available to tourists and visitors.
Solin tourist town
Solin tourist town is known after its reach history and beauty. In its vicinity, there are the archaeological excavations of once famous roman town Salona, the capital city of the Dalmatia province. The Jadro river, good tourist offer, the remains of the ancient town, attract many guests and tourists, so the inhabitants have built many tourist objects. Solin Tourist Town attracts many guests and tourists for its beauty, remains from the history and the beautiful Jadro river.
Particularly recommended in Croatia
Tables: 20 Guests: 120
Surface: 220 m2
Parking place: 20
Sea: 10 m Beach: 100 m
Featured Facility Ads!
By displaying ads you increase the possibility of booking for more than 25%.
Your (apartment, villa, sailboat, hotel, restaurant, rural house ...) video in Croatia
By placing video footage you enhance the user experience of your apartment, villa, holiday home, motor boat, sailboat, hotel, restaurant, catamaran, rural house, camp or marina you prefer to rent!Advertise, send inquiry for video advertising!